Although there’s clearly no last determination, the Dolphins, at this level, anticipate to maintain Ryan Tannehill subsequent season. However right here’s one thing that should change: His play inside the division.
Tannehill’s AFC East document by way of 25 video games? An unacceptable eight-17.
His passer scores: a dismal 70.6 towards the Jets, seventy five.6 towards the Payments, eighty one.9 towards the Patriots.
Towards the AFC East, he has 32 touchdowns, 27 picks and a seventy six profession score.
Towards the remainder of the league, his score is near ninety, with sixty one touchdowns and 34 picks.
You understand how many occasions the Dolphins have topped 20 factors in 25 AFC East video games within the Tannehill period?
Eight, and he missed most of a type of seven (a 30-9 win towards the Jets). So it’s primarily 7 of 24.
Extra obtrusive: The Dolphins’ offense couldn’t prime 20 factors in any of six video games towards the AFC East final yr.
This season, they scored 24 factors towards the Patriots Sept. 18 due to a livid late rally after faltering all through the primary half.
Of his final 15 video games contained in the division (throughout which Miami has been outscored 407-241), Tannehill has had solely three good video games, three respectable ones and 9 dangerous video games; his passer score has been under eighty (often properly under) in eight of them.
Clearly, blame extends properly past Tannehill, with the protection and offensive line additionally at fault. That time shouldn’t be ignored.
The excellent news: Tannehill has performed properly in his final two AFC East video games, towards the Patriots. And Tannehill, given time to throw, was terrific towards Pittsburgh.
If Sam Bradford retains profitable in Minnesota, Tannehill might discover himself with an ignominious distinction by the top of the season.
Of the quarterbacks with the NFL’s 20 largest contracts, Tannehill and Bradford are the one ones who’ve had neither a profitable season nor led his group to the playoffs.
CBS’ Phil Simms made a superb level on Tannehill in an offseason chat with WQAM’s Joe Rose, some extent that also holds true as we speak.
Simms talked about Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Ben Roethlisberger and different prime quarterbacks and stated: “When these guys stroll via the locker-room, there’s something that occurs. They know he is the person. They admire him however they’re just a little afraid of him, too. [Tannehill] wants sufficient success to take over the soccer workforce. It will be significant as a result of apply all the time carries over to the sport. That is the subsequent step for him.”
• Some excellent news on Tannehill: His deep ball has gone from a weak spot to a power. He’s 7 for 17 on passes thrown no less than 20 yards within the air this season, that forty one.2 proportion rating tenth amongst quarterbacks (minimal 10 throws).
On passes thrown at the least 30 yards within the air, he’s four for eight, that fifty % tied for fourth (minimal 5 throws). And each numbers can be higher if Kenny Stills hadn’t dropped a simple cross.
• What we’re listening to contained in the Dolphins constructing: Coaches completely love what Andre Department did as a brand new defensive finish starter final week. Department stated he was advised he’ll begin once more on Sunday…One participant stated tight finish Marqueis Grey will find yourself being the group’s steal of the offseason….
One factor that has helped defensive communication, which had been poor at occasions, in line with linebacker Spencer Paysinger: Linebackers and defensive backs have begun assembly collectively mid-week to take a look at tape and describe how they see the identical performs. Defensive linemen be a part of them later within the week.
• Proper deal with Ja’Wuan James, who has allowed 5.5 sacks, stated the previous month has been probably the most hectic of his soccer life.
“I nonetheless really feel I’m a [good right tackle], however you begin to query: What’s happening? It’s a must to look deep inside your self.”
James admits the method modifications required from new offensive line coach Chris Foerster have been difficult. He has watched tape of himself at his greatest to spice up his confidence, and he performed properly towards Pittsburgh.
• Walt Aikens, who hasn’t performed a defensive snap all season, turns into the No. three security starting this weekend, within the wake of Reshad Jones’ season-ending damage.
“He has actually come a great distance since at the least we began,” coach Adam Gase stated. “He has carried out an ideal job. He is aware of what to do. He is reacting faster, so far as his breaks go, particularly when he is in the midst of the sector. However I feel him having that particular groups background and as very important as he’s to us on particular groups, he is an effective tackler. Hopefully that interprets to protection, which every thing that we have seen tells us sure. So we really feel like we now have a great group again there so far as making an attempt to do … you are by no means going to match what Reshad (Jones) introduced, however simply attempt to get as shut as attainable.”
• Gase, on the state of his offense after six video games: “I feel from what I assumed in coaching camp and the place we’re proper now, I assumed we have been forward of the place I had been prior to now. After which I feel we took a bit of bit (of a) step again once we had some guys, some inflow and DeVante (Parker) lacking as a lot time as he did after which shuffling across the o-line. I feel we sort of slid again a bit bit.
“That was earlier, these first two or three weeks. I feel now we’re beginning to actually come collectively and guys are actually understanding the why of why we do every thing. Every recreation plan is totally different. We will change all year long. I feel guys have actually taken to it. They perceive that it isn’t a simple offense so far as for those who do not put within the time outdoors the constructing, it makes it robust on your self. I feel the blokes have figured it out. Final week was a great instance of what we might be so far as the stability utilizing each the run recreation, cross recreation, screens – issues like that – shifting the quarterback. That is actually what we need to attempt to be. Clearly, each week goes to be a bit totally different, however I feel we’re catching as much as the place I assumed we have been going to be.”